Monday, July 11, 2011

First Impressions

First impressions are really important. If you're a human being, you know this to be true.

My first impression of my oldest friend (Alicia) was that she was weird. She was weird, but if I hadn't looked past my first impression of her, we wouldn't be friends now. I remember her talking to me on the school bus in 7th grade, telling me about her gummy bear vitamins. I was way too cool to talk about vitamins, but I gave her a chance and we've been friends ever since.

My first impression of my best friend (Kelly) was that she was a total snob. I didn't really like her at first, and I thought she was really stuck up. I ended up hanging out with her a lot because I was on the worship team at my church and her husband was the worship leader and she was also on the team. I got past my first impression of her and she turned out to be the complete opposite of what I thought. She's so down to earth and one of the funniest people I know. We finish each others sentences and make the same random noises at random times. If wouldn't have let go of my first impression, we wouldn't have the friendship we have now, and that would be a shame.

There is a girl I work with named Courtney. We got off on the wrong foot when she gave me attitude one day for sitting at her desk (where I was told to sit). I immediately didn't like her and had a bad attitude about it the whole time. There are few people that I don't like enough to have an actual attitude with them, but she was one of them. She just rubbed me the wrong way. Today (after 2 months) I let it go. I asked her about her upcoming wedding, and we talked about the ducks (I noticed she had an O sticker on her car). Towards the end of my shift she was complaining about pain in her abdomen and because I'm going to school to be a nurse and it's my passion, I was trying to figure out what was wrong with her. We connected today, and I'm glad that I let go of my first impression of her, even if it did take me two months. Sometimes that's the first step to a beautiful friendship.

We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment