Friday, September 10, 2010

The relevance of being relevant

Now, my iPod is currently filled with 1300+ songs. Some of those songs are full of sex and cursing and things that aren't appropriate for little ears. I make sure to keep an eye on the songs that play when there are little ones in the car. I'm really good about it, actually.

Then it dawned on me.. If I'm listening to music that can't be heard by little kids, then why am I listening to it? Would I play this song if I was hanging out with Jesus? Not a chance. So why do I listen to it when I'm by myself? Or with "older" people. Why do I allow myself to be brought down by this music? It's certainly not uplifting to me, or anybody for that matter, to listen to songs about "Damn girl, how'd ya get all of that in dem jeans" so why the heck do I even listen to it?

Is it to be relevant? I can use that as an excuse. It's what people my age are listening to.. shouldn't I listen to it to be relevant?

I'm not saying that all I'm going to listen to is Christian music from here on out. I'm just saying that if I wouldn't listen to it while hanging out with Jesus, then I shouldn't be listening to it at all. Cause if Jesus is in my heart, then I am hanging out with Him at all times. So needless to say, I'm cleaning out my itunes.

Funny thing is, I don't quite feel the same about movies. The difference between music and movies for me is, music, I listen to all the time. When I'm working out, when I'm reading, when I'm in my car, when I'm just having some down time. Movies, I usually watch once, and that's that. It's not a constant in my life like music is.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I need to be more conscious about the decisions that I make. The things that I allow to go into my brain, and more importantly, into my heart. It's going to be a struggle. I know this time in my life will be one of the toughest, but I have a feeling I'll make it through just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment