Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 3: Tell Us About Your Job


She works hard for the money..

Luckily, my job is only a temporary job that I'll only have for a year. I'm pretty sure I would go CRAZY if I did this for the rest of my life! (Maybe that's why some people here are so cranky?)
I work at a call center. We get calls from hotels all over the country (I think 245 total?) and we make reservations for them. These hotels aren't big chains like Hilton or Best Western, so they don't need a big call center who only answers calls for them. They just need someone to fill in when their in-house reservations are not in, or when it's so busy they can't take anymore calls. 

So I get calls from people looking to book rooms in Florida, Texas, California, New York, Tennessee, Hawaii, Alaska. It's actually really cool, but like any job, it has it's rough times. Some of the questions I've received are just ridiculous! 

Examples:
"What color is the carpet? I don't like green."
"How many elevators are there?"
"Can I smoke on the balcony?" "No, sir, the hotel is entirely non-smoking." "But say I do it, will someone find out?"
"Has anybody famous ever stayed in that room?"
"But I saw the rate was $99, $100 is just too much."

And because I'm a girl and I have a decent voice, I've been hit on.
Example:
Guest: "Will you be there when I get there?"
Me: "I will not, sir, I'm at a reservations center in Oregon."
Guest: "Darn, I was really hoping to finally have a face match that voice."

I'm very thankful for my job. It may annoy me 4/5 days, but I'm thankful that in this economy, I'm able to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment