Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 4: Tell Us About Your Family


My family.. Where to start..

The Mom: My parents got a divorce when I was 14 years old. Growing up, I didn't get along well with my mom most of the time. We had similar personalities other than the fact that she liked to control everything, and I didn't like being told what to do, I was more of a free spirit. That made us clash a lot. We fought most of the time, but I always knew that she loved me and I loved her too. For the longest time, she was the only person I could really be myself with. She moved me across the state after my parents divorce, right before my sophomore year in high school. Although I hated her at the time, it was the best thing she could have done for both of us. My mom is a strong woman and she has a strong personality, but she is loved by many people. She is my hero, and I hope that if I was in the same position as her, I would be brave enough to do what was right for myself and my children. I can honestly say that my mom is my best friend. She knows me better than anyone.
The Dad: My dad and I haven't always had the best relationship. My childhood was rough, but I was able to forgive him a couple of years ago, and we've been much closer ever since. I always know if I need anything, I'm able to go to my dad. Although we're far apart (He's in Alabama) I know that he's there for me. I miss him though, I've only seen him twice since I was 16. 

The Step-Dad: Scotty is amazing. He is the perfect person for my mom. God couldn't have picked a better man for her. He's loving, so caring, very giving, he's always willing to help anybody who needs help. He's someone that I love deeply and I'm so thankful for. He had a stroke a few years ago, so sometimes he can't communicate the way he wants to, but he's always able to communicate with me. And I love that we can share that bond. 

The Step-Mom: Susan is a riot. I've known her since I was 13 (long story) and she's a great person. Her two sons were in a car accident 3 summers ago, and one of them passed away. She is seriously one of the strongest people I know. She went back to school 2 years ago and got her masters in psychology, specializing in grief psychology. She's taking a tragedy and turning it into something more. She's helping others and I couldn't be prouder of her. 

The Sister: My sister is AMAZING. She is one of the most patient people I know. I love that even though we didn't grow up living together, it doesn't feel that way, because I don't remember a time when she wasn't in my life. She is a role-model for me, and I am always in awe of the great mother that she is. She makes me proud to call her my sister. 

The Brother: Growing up, my brother and I HATED each other. When I say hate, I mean it. He tried to shoot me with a bb-gun and he was always beating me up or getting me into trouble. We hated each other until he moved out. Since he moved out, we have become MUCH closer. He is one of my best friends. I love hanging out with him. He is funny, smart, a nerd, and he's just like me. He's going to college this month and I am SOOOOO proud of him! I <3 my brother!

The Step-Siblings: Honestly, I don't know them as well as I should. I have 3 step-siblings. Jenielle and Devin (Scott's kids), and Brad (Susan's son). They're all older than me (The one who's closest in age is Brad, and he's 25) so that's part of the reason why we don't know each other well. That and they all live in different states. But I do know that they'd be there for me if I needed them, and they're my family. That's really all that matters.

I also have other people who I consider family, but I'll talk about them in a few days :)



1 comment: