Monday, November 8, 2010

The 'D' Word

I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't heard of anybody close to me going through any marital problems, and how awesome that was. Oh, how quickly change. I've found out in the last week that 3 marriages are ending. Three 10 plus years marriages. Two of the couples have been together for over twenty years! It just astonishes me that they're just ending. Just like that. It makes my heart terribly sad.

Having been through my parent's divorce (as good as it was for them to get divorced) was really hard. Seeing my mom that sad, seeing my dad not care, being the only child at home while this happened. I was fourteen and so lost. I was out of town when it happened, and I found out because I overheard a conversation my "aunt" was having. Not the best way to find out. I got home, and my world was changed. My mom couldn't stand living in the same town as my dad, and immediately started looking at other places to live. Places like Arizona, California, even Florida.. it was SCARY. She finally settled on Eugene, and we moved right after my freshman year. I left everybody I knew and loved and moved to a town 10x bigger than MY town. I struggled in school, I struggled with depression, and I pretty much hated life. Divorce was hard on me. It took a huge toll on my life, and I didn't start the healing process until I got to know the coolest guy.. Jesus. He saved me. I honestly don't think I would be here today if it weren't for Him in that time in my life.

Divorce is an ugly thing. It's a word people throw around like it's a joke. It's not a joke. When you marry someone, you're promising them forever. For better AND for worse. Things won't always be perfect, it wouldn't be worth it if it were always perfect and easy. I would rather go to bed knowing that if tomorrow was the worst day of my life, my husband wouldn't leave my side, no matter what. I know for a fact, I won't get married until I find that person. The person that rejoices with with me when something awesome happens, and mourns with me when something terrible happens. Someone to share everything with. It's a partnership. The partnership that should mean the most to a person. It's a deal with your spouse, and with God. It's a promise. If you can't keep that promise 80 years from when you make it, you have no business making that promise.

I'm really upset by the recent news about divorce with people I've known FOREVER. I'm talking since the day I was born. The husband gets bored with the marriage and goes elsewhere to be happy. First of all, if that EVER happened with me, I would hunt him down and make him try to work things out. A promise is a promise, and I'm holding my [future] husband accountable to the promise. You best believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment